Grilling is something that I have always loved, so when it became time for me to purchase my first propane grill, I had to do a bit of searching to find one that fit my needs.
After checking out a few grills and scouring the market, I discovered a Thermos grill that one of my friends owned.
I really liked how great it cooked the food, so afterward, I went to check out other Thermos varieties to see my options.
I found that they are quite versatile with their offerings, so I decided to do a few Thermos grill reviews to compare my options.
Let’s take a look at these products more in-depth, and I will also provide you with three alternatives that easily compare.
In this article, we’re going to review the following gas grills:
- Our Pick (Best for the Money): Thermos 265 (2-Burner)
- Thermos 420 (3-Burner)
- Thermos 480 (4-Burner + Side Burner)
Things to Consider Before Buying a Thermos Grill
When purchasing a grill of this type, one of the first things that you will want to consider is the size of the cooking space that it provides you. Are you planning on grilling for two to three people, or will you be grilling for eight or more every time that you cook out?
Also, make sure that you consider whether you are going to be grilling hamburgers and hotdogs that will not require a lot of time or something much more substantial like a pork loin or a turkey. Larger items will need much more space to cook thoroughly on the grill, and if you want to heat the food more indirectly, then you will need to make sure that the grill that you choose has options when it comes to the number of burners.
In addition to this the size of the grill, other consideration to look for include:
- BTU’s: BTU’s, which stands for British Thermal Units, are a means of expressing how much heat is coming from the grill. Yes, you are going to want to have a good BTU rating, but it is suggested that you only need about 100 BTU’s per square inch so that you do not waste fuel while you are grilling.
- Durability: The durability of the grill that you select is going to show over time. I have found that less durable options have a much shorter lifespan, so it is essential to purchase a stainless steel option that will not rust so that it can be used for several grilling seasons. Also, having a stable base is important so that you do not feel the grill wobble as you are cooking.
- Features: There are some features on a propane grill that you are going to want to have, but some may not be important for you as the cook. Make sure that the grates are of good quality if you plan on searing meat a lot. A side burner could be useful for making a side or sauce to pour over the meat that you grill. Warming racks may also be important to have when you are cooking some foods.
Presenting the Thermos Grills
#1 Thermos 265 (2-Burner)
- 2-Burner, 26,500-btu cart-style gas grill
- 265 square inches of primary cooking space over porcelain coated...
- Porcelain-coated steel lid and firebox designed to withstand the...
- Plastic side shelves with built-in tool hooks offer storage and easy...
- Piezo ignition system for fast and reliable startups
#2 Thermos 420 (3-Burner)
- 3-Burner, 40,000-btu cart-style gas grill
- 420 square inches of primary cooking on porcelain-coated grates, plus...
- Stainless steel lid, handle, control panel and fascia provide style...
- Large, metal side shelves provide added prep and work space
- Durable, stainless steel burners, and piezo ignition system for fast...
#3 Thermos 480 (4-Burner + Side Burner)
- 4-Burner, 48,000-btu cart-style gas grill with 10,000-btu lidded side...
- 480 square inches of primary cooking on porcelain-coated grates, plus...
- Stainless steel lid, handle, control panel, fascia and front panel...
- Lid-mounted temperature gauge helps provide heat control
- Durable, stainless steel burners and electronic ignition system offers...
When comparing these three grills, the first thing that I noticed was that the number of burners that each one had varied based on the size of the grill. This allows you to find the ideal size for your needs. Before we jump into the features of the grills, let’s take a look at some of the pros and cons.
- It comes with built-in tool hooks for easy storage.
- The ignition system is easy to use.
- These grills provide a large amount of prep space.
- They are made out of durable, stainless steel.
- These grills have an open design, which some grill enthusiasts dislike.
- The cart only has two wheels on all three models.
- The surface can easily fade in the elements.
Thermos Grills: Features and Benefits
BTU’s and Burners
The amount of BTU’s that a grill has is going to help determine how efficient it will be. With these grills, there are multiple options that will provide you with a different number of burners. The two-burner option comes with 26,500 BTU’s which should be more than sufficient for a grill of this size. The three-burner grill has 40,000 BTU’s, and the four-burner has 48,000 BTU’s. All of these options will provide plenty of power and allow you to cook your food both directly and indirectly.
Plenty of Cooking Space
When it comes to cooking space, I love to have a lot in my grill because it allows me to grill a lot of food at once and eat it throughout the week when I don’t have time to grill. The smallest model that we have looked at here, which is the two-burner model, is designed with about 265 square inches of cooking space. The next largest model that I have reviewed here is the three-burner model of the Thermos grill, and it has 420 square inches of cooking space on the main grill rack and another 130 square inches on the secondary rack. The four-burner option is even larger; it has 480 square inches of cooking space on the main rack and 210 square inches on the cooling rack.
Durable Prep Space
When you get a grill, the space that you have to prepare your food is often limited, unless you prepare the food away from the grill. I have found that having a sturdy, reliable space next to the grill is quite useful, and it can make flipping and removing the food from the grill easier as well. With the smallest, two-burner grill, the side tables are a bit on the small side, but they will provide you with sufficient space while you are preparing the food. In fact, the model even has built-in tool hooks that are quite handy.
The next size up, which is the grill that has three-burners, had sturdy metal shelves on both sides of the grill. These provide a good amount of workspace, even if you opt for the side burner option. The largest grill of the three has a side burner built into the one side, but the other side of the grill provides more than enough space to prepare your food.
Fast Ignition System
When you get a new gas grill, one of the first things that you are going to want to make sure that is present on the grill is a good ignition system so that it will be easy to start up the cooking process every time that you use it. Sometimes, grills can be difficult to start, especially if you have to use a lighter near the pilot light to get it started. In all three of these models, there is an electronic ignition system called Piezo that is fast and reliable each time that you need to start the grill.
Easy to Clean
When I purchase a new grill, one of the first things that I tend to look at is the grates and how easy they are going to be to clean. I absolutely dislike having a grill that takes a lot of effort to clean, and I have found that I prefer a grill grate that has been coated with a layer of porcelain to help keep the food from sticking and to keep it from rusting as well. In the two-burner grill, the lid and the firebox are also coated with this porcelain material to help protect it from the elements.
Sometimes, a new grill can come with new toys that a grilling enthusiast will want to have. The larger two grills are fitted with a temperature gauge in the lid that can make it easier to gauge how warm the food is and how well it is cooking. It can be a great tool that you can use to perfect the doneness of your steak or burgers as well. Another feature that you should consider is available on two of these models, and that is a side burner. These are ideal for cooking a full meal on the grill, and the side burner on the four-burner grill has 10,000 BTU’s.
Thermos Grill Reviews: Social Proof
So, what are people saying about Thermos grills? Overall, these grills are loved by the grillers who have purchased one. They are relatively easy to put together, they are easy to ignite, and they provide a stable cooking surface for a small family. When it comes to models with a side burner, some folks have complained that it only has one setting, which means that the food can easily burn. Most love the fact that Thermos grills come with multiple burner options so that you can choose the one that works best for your outdoor space.
- Our Pick (Best for the Money): Thermos 265 (2-Burner)
- Thermos 420 (3-Burner)
- Thermos 480 (4-Burner + Side Burner)
This is not the only option to consider when you are looking for a good gas grill; some alternatives that you can also consider are:
Huntington is another grill company that has a similar model to the Thermos brand. This is a great two-burner option for anyone who is going to store the grill outside because it has a coated control panel and shelves that are designed to stand up to the weather. Similarities include:
- It has porcelain-coated grates that will help cook the food more thoroughly without sticking.
- It has a push-button ignition system for easy grilling every time you cook.
- This grill has food preparation shelves that provide plenty of space.
Alternate Two: Char-Griller E3001 Grillin' Pro (3-Burner)
Char-Griller is another great gas grill option that will work well for most backyards. It is a grill that has three burners, and it comes with about 40,800 BTU’s. This grill is designed with a grilling space of 438 square inches, and it even comes with a warming grill that is 192 square inches as well. The main difference is that the grates in this grill are actually made out of cast iron, which will help sear the meat better. This is comparable to the Thermos three-burner grill in these ways:
- The grill comes with a side burner as well as plenty of space to prepare the food that you are cooking.
- The grill is also designed with an electronic ignition.
- It has a durable design that has grates that are porcelain-coated to protect them from the food.
Alternate Three: Char-Broil 463377319 Performance (4-Burner)
The third alternative that I have listed here is a Char-Broil option. It is a four-burner stainless steel grill that is extremely stylish and durable. It offers a great amount of heat, and because of the cast iron grates, this grill will heat up more quickly than some others. When it comes to similarities, this is a very similar grill to the four-burner Thermos option that we already looked at. Similarities include:
- It is a durable grill that offers a lot of cooking space and preparation space that you can use; it comes with a side burner as well.
- The grill is designed with a reliable electric ignition system that will help you get the grill started quickly.
- The grates, which are cast iron, have been porcelain-coated so that they are easier to clean and manage. In fact, this is a feature that will help keep the grates from rusting when the weather is not the best.
Hopefully, you enjoyed reading my Thermos grill reviews. These grills are an excellent option for a grilling enthusiast who needs to cook for their family from time to time. Of course, these grills are not perfect, but they provide storage space, plenty of burner options, and a reliable ignition system. It is a great valued grill that is going to be durable enough to provide you with a grilling experience for years to come. Once you try out a Thermos grill, you are likely to make it your new go-to grilling brand. For more about these Thermos grills, click the links below:
Hi there! I’m Darren Wayland, your BBQHost. My love of great barbecue inspired me to curate this site as a resource for all my like-minded fellow pitmasters out there. When I’m not researching and learning all I can about the latest tips and techniques, you can find me at the grill—that is, if you can spot me at all through the clouds of sweet-smelling smoke. And since you asked, yes, that probably is barbecue sauce on my face. Welcome to the party!