If you are in a hurry and just want to find out what the BEST infrared gas grill is, then depends on your needs, we recommend:
A few years ago, no one, including myself, knew what an infrared grill was. Thankfully, as of late, people have been catching up with the concepts of infrared cooking and radiated heat. Efficient, powerful and convenient, this type of grill can undoubtedly help you elevate your outdoor cooking game. With that in mind, I will go over six of the best infrared gas grill products on the market. Additionally, I will give you important information about this type of grills that I’ve learned over the years.
In this article, we’re going to review the following infrared gas grills:
- Char-Broil Performance TRU-Infrared 450 Cart Style & Cabinet Style (3-Burner)
- Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
- Char-Broil Signature TRU-Infrared 325, 420 & 525
- Char-Broil TRU-Infrared Patio Bistro
- Magma Products A10-918-2GS Newport 2
- Solaire SOL-EV17A Everywhere
Before reviewing the six featured products, I think it’s important to provide some information about infrared grills in general. Hopefully, it will help you choose the right brand and model for your particular needs.
What Are Infrared Grills?
In many ways, infrared grills operate just like gas or charcoal ones. There is an important difference, however. Using a stable and continuous source, infrared grills emit direct, persistent heat. By producing heat through radiation instead of convection, these grills are incredibly efficient.
How Do Infrared Grills Work?
The main idea behind infrared grills is that they heat up a panel located directly beneath the food. Once it’s hot, the panel radiates intense heat that reaches the meat on the grills, effectively cooking it. This is different from traditional grills that directly heat up the grates, producing convective heat.
Advantages of Infrared Grills
- Short heating time: Without a doubt, one of the best things about using an infrared grill is that it heats up a lot faster than a traditional gas or charcoal grill.
- Stability: Because they rely on radiant heat, these grills can operate perfectly in a variety of climate conditions, including strong winds and even rain. Because there are no flames, you don’t have to worry about them being put out by anything.
- Fast cooking: In addition to heating up faster, infrared grills also reach higher temperatures than traditional grills (between 900 to 1,600 degrees Fahrenheit). As you can probably imagine, that results in faster cooking times.
- Even heating: Unlike most charcoal and traditional gas grills, infrared grills do not have hot and cold spots. As a result, they are capable of producing an even amount of heat. The result? Evenly-cooked meat no matter where you place it in the grill.
- No flare-ups: Having an additional layer, infrared grills prevent flare-ups. This results in hot air moving smoothly and more efficiently than it would do in a traditional grill.
- Energy efficiency: If you, like me, are concerned about your impact on the environment, you will like to learn that infrared grills use a lot less fuel than charcoal or traditional gas grills, resulting in less harmful emissions. This is furthered by the fact that infrared grills cook a lot faster than conventional grills.
- Good searing capabilities: Much like a laser, the heat produced by an infrared grill moves up directly onto the food in a concentrated beam. This allows it to produce a quality sear with ease, locking in moisture. What is more, meat that has been seared with this type of grill tends to show uniform caramelization across its entire surface and a hard, dark, beautiful crust.
- Cleaning ease: Because it produces no ashes and no debris, these grills are a lot easier to clean than charcoal or gas ones. Without a doubt, that makes it more convenient and practical than its more conventional counterparts.
How to Prepare and Maintain an Infrared Grill
Always Preheat It
Like conventional grills, infrared grills need to be pre-heated before they can be used. Pre-heating does not only get the grill ready for efficient cooking but also sterilizes and prepares it. Additionally, it ensures that your food won’t stick to the grates as it starts cooking, protecting it from damage and reducing the debris that it will produce during the cooking process.
Mind the Temperature
As I previously said, infrared grills can reach very high levels of heat. While this can be great for grilling large cuts of meat, it may not be as advisable for cooking vegetables and other foods. Apart from damaging said food, using too much heat may break it up, resulting in an excess of juices flowing onto the grill. In addition to being difficult to clean, the accumulation of said juices can damage the grill.
Use a Thermometer
Expanding on the previous point, I should say that, when using an infrared grill, it’s paramount to control the temperature at all times. To do this properly, there is no better way than using a thermometer.
The Best Infrared Gas Grill On the Market – Six Reviews
#1 Char-Broil Performance TRU-Infrared 450 Cart Style & Cabinet Style (3-Burner)
To be perfectly honest, I have had bad experiences with infrared grills that got too hot and were almost impossible to adjust. For that reason, I take my hat off to the manufacturers of the Char-Broil Performance TRU-Infrared grill models. While they are perfectly capable of reaching high temperatures very quickly, these grills can also be easily adjusted to cook at lower temperatures. What’s more, once you decide on a temperature, these grills will maintain it with great precision for extended periods of time. If you love grilling vegetables as much as I do, that’s great news.
In addition to being powerful, adjustable and reliable, both the Char-Broil Performance Cart Style and the Char-Broil Performance Cabinet Style feature an advanced design that helps cook meat more efficiently. In fact, its entire cooking area of 450 square inches heats up evenly, preventing cold and hot spots from ruining portions of your food.
Expertly constructed and using only high-quality materials, these grills are remarkably durable and resistant. This is fantastic for me as I am the kind of person that likes to take full advantage of every purchase. Despite reaching up to 10000 BTUs without breaking a sweat, these grills’ three burners are capable of working non-stop for hours at a time.
- Large cooking space.
- Easy to clean.
- Both models include a foldable side-rack.
- Fast and reliable startup.
- Both models include high-quality mounted temperature gauge.
- Small holes in the grate often get clogged.
- Susceptible to rust.
- Not suitable for heating up food.
>> Check Price on Amazon <<
If you are looking for an infrared gas grill that you can take anywhere, the Char-Broil Grill2Go X200 TRU-Infrared Gas Grill may be worth looking into. Incredibly compact and lightweight, it can be easily carried from one place to another. Despite its size and weight, however, this grill is both powerful and durable. All these featured make it a fantastic choice for camping trips, road trips, tailgating, and other adventurous outdoor activities.
I learned the hard way that, when you go out on an adventure, it’s best to expect the unexpected. Small accidents, bumps, falls and impacts come with the territory during such activities. Luckily, even though it’s small, lightweight and portable, the Char-Broil Grill2Go X200 is not fragile or flimsy. Quite to the contrary, this grill has a high-impact frame that makes it virtually impact-proof. Moreover, its cast aluminum firebox is tough and durable both inside and out. The fact that said firebox can be locked down only adds to this product’s durability.
One clear downside that the Char-Broil Grill2Go X200 has is its reduced cooking space. Measuring only 200 square inches, this space does not allow too many pieces of food to be cooked at the same time. However, considering this grill’s size and portability, I’d say that having a reduced cooking space is completely reasonable. Also, it’s important to consider than, due to its impressively-quick cooking capabilities, this grill allows you to organize your food into various sets and cook them one by one.
- Compact and very portable
- Easy to clean.
- Features a high-impact frame for added durability.
- Safe and secure.
- One-button ignition.
- Very practical.
- Regulator is cheap and flimsy.
- Does not offer low-temperature cooking.
>> Check Price on Amazon <<
The last time I was looking for a new infrared grill, I had problems finding one that I could use at home on a regular basis and also move somewhere else if needed. At the time, most infrared grills on the market were either small and portable or large and stationary. Boy, how I wish I had known about the Char-Broil Signature 325, 420 and 525 back then. Large and fully-equipped without being too clunky, these grills are a great choice for those who want comfort and performance without sacrificing mobility.
Each of these three models uses 443 stainless steel burners, each of which produces up to 18000 BTUs. The difference, however, is that the 325 has two burners, the 420 has three burners and the 525 has four burners. As you can probably imagine, these differences have a definite effect on the overall output of each grill. At any rate, however, all three are capable of producing enough heat to cook large amounts of meat efficiently.
Without a doubt, the Char-Broil Signature TRU-Infrared series stands out due to its expert construction and advanced design. On the exterior, these features provide durability and resistance against the elements. Inside, they produce the perfect environment for grilling meat that’s full of flavor. What is more, their interior design prevents flare-ups that can damage an otherwise-perfect steak.
- Large cooking and warming space.
- Reliable one-button ignition.
- Can be easily converted from liquid propane to natural gas.
- Made of stainless steel.
- Iron grates are porcelain-coated.
- Includes enclosed storage cabinet.
- Difficult to clean.
- Somewhat pricey.
>> Check Price on Amazon <<
Having a reduced amount of space can be a deal-breaker when it comes to outdoor grilling. Luckily, the Char-Broil TRU-Infrared Patio Bistro Gas Grill is compact enough to be used basically anywhere. Despite this fact, anyway, this grill provides 320 square inches of cooking space. Without a doubt, this is something to consider if you are looking for portability but don’t want to sacrifice functionality.
Even though it’s relatively small, the Char-Broil Patio Bistro Gas Grill offers a lot in terms of features. Like many of the other Char-Broil products featured in this guide, it uses infrared technology and a specialized grate to heat food directly. What’s more, this technology provides even heat throughout without hot or cold spots.
Unfortunately for my clumsy self, the Char-Broil Patio Bistro requires assembly. Even worse, its assembly process is difficult and morose. However, once assembled, this grill is portable and practical. Luckily, you won’t need to disassemble it in order to clean it or take it somewhere else. Featuring two high-quality wheels, it can be rolled practically anywhere.
- Easy to use.
- Compact and practical.
- Allows adding wood chips for extra flavor.
- Features two cooking areas.
- Sleek and modern design.
- Requires assembly.
>> Check Price on Amazon <<
Elegant and sleek, this grill by Magma Products surely has a way of catching your eye. At the same time, it has got all the featured you could want from a product of its kind. Additionally, it is made of stainless steel and other similarly-durable materials. Even better, its construction is superb, making this a truly reliable infrared gas grill.
In terms of cooking space, the Magma Products A10-918-2GS Newport 2 leaves a bit to be desired. Featuring only 162 square inches of grating area, it does not exactly lend itself to cooking for a lot of people. However, its portability, power, and efficiency make it a good option for small and intimate gatherings. Equipped with stable fold-away legs, it can be used basically anywhere.
With full disclosure in mind, I should say that the Magma Products A10-918-2GS is somewhat expensive. However, it is expertly constructed, and it uses high-quality materials exclusively. Made of stainless steel, its body is incredibly tough and durable. Additionally, its porcelain-coated grates are incredibly durable and rust-resistant.
- Dynamic combustion system.
- Made of marine-grade mirror-polished stainless steel.
- Features tempered glass viewing window.
- Capable of adapting to on-board LPG or CNG systems.
- Includes integrated fold-away legs.
- Reduced cooking space.
>> Check Price on Amazon <<
Even though it’s not as flashy and sleek as some of the other products featured in this guide, the Solaire SOL-EV17A Infrared Propane Gas Grill has a lot to offer in terms of efficiency and functionality. Featuring stainless steel burners, it produces an astounding amount of heat consistently and reliably. What’s more, this grill is capable of functioning for hours on end without sacrificing efficiency or becoming damaged in the process.
Compact and lightweight, the Solaire SOL-EV17A Everywhere is perfect for road trips, picnics, camping trips and so on. Unlike most grills of its kind, though, it does not sacrifice heating power for portability. In fact, it’s capable of producing more than 8000 BTUs consistently and reliably. Even better, it heats up incredibly quickly. As a matter of fact, I was surprised to realize that it was fully heated after only three minutes.
Without a doubt, the Solaire SOL-EV17A has capabilities that rival with bigger, stationary grills. Unfortunately, however, it does not provide a lot of cooking space. However, it’s important to take into account that it heats up and cooks incredibly fast, allowing you to organize your cooking into various sets without wasting too much time. As if that wasn’t enough, this grill is also very easy to clean, making it a truly practical and convenient choice.
- Compact and portable.
- Tough and durable.
- Electronic push-button ignition.
- Heats up very fast.
- Advanced grate design redistributes flavor.
- Difficult to control and adjust.
>> Check Price on Amazon <<
Best Infrared Gas Grill: Conclusion
Yes, infrared grills normally are somewhat expensive in comparison to most conventional grills. However, their benefits and advantages justify the price difference. Apart from being cleaner and faster than charcoal and traditional gas grills, they are capable of reaching high levels of heat without skipping a beat. If you don’t believe me, just wait until you try the products featured in this guide.
Having gone through the characteristics and features of these six infrared grills, I can confidently say that they are all very good potential choices. Without a doubt, they are all capable of producing fantastic results. With full disclosure in mind, I should say that the Char-Broil Grill2Go X200 is the best budget infrared gas grill out of the six. Well-designed, incredibly efficient and impressively powerful, this grill is truly top-notch. If you have more money to spend, then you should go with the Char-Broil Signature TRU-Infrared 325, 420 or 525 (depends on how many burners you want your grill to have).